Know your options!
It is wonderful to have options, regarding how, where and with whom we give birth. In Northern Virginia we have many choices– sometimes with confusing details and definitions. There are pros and cons to everything, and there is no “One size Fits All” perfect choice, as each family is unique. In addition to the traditional obstetrician-attended, in-hospital birth, here are some of the options “out there!”
Our Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) are legally certified to practice in all settings: home, birth centers, and hospitals. Clinic CNM’s carry licenses to prescribe most medicines and work in collaboration with physicians in case of complications. CNM’s work within guidelines and limitations regarding their scope of practice (for example, twins, breech, and high risk cases). CNM’s are certified in ultrasound, assisting on C/Sections, and carry nurse-practitioner licenses in Virginia.
The Birthing Inn
Loudoun Community Midwives were the first Certified Nurse-Midwives to have privileges at Inova Loudoun Hospital Center, and we have attended over 4,000 births there since 1999. We choose to attend births at the Birthing Inn because the staff and management are so supportive of nurse-midwifery patients and their families.
Birthing Inn Features Include:
- Wireless, waterproof, fetal monitoring – enables women to move freely and bathe during labor
- High-tech security system
- Deep soaking tubs in all labor rooms
- All postpartum rooms are private
- In-house Neonatology
- In-house Anesthesia
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Lactation Consulting Services
Natural Birthing Center
- No continuous electronic fetal monitoring ( we listen to baby intermittently with a small doppler)
- No epidurals
- Families will go home between 12-24 hours after the birth, with appropriate follow-up plans in place
- All the emergency support of Inova Loudoun Hospital’s Birthing Inn– a 3 minute walk across the parking lot!
- Only natural, non-medicated labors and births for low-risk moms
- Beautiful, deep hydrotherapy tubs in each room
- Fireplace, Family room, Kitchen area
- Moms eat, drink, walk, labor, and birth in any position
- No pitocin augmentation