You must first answer yes to one of the following questions:
- This is my first pregnancy and I am 32 weeks or less
- I am the mother of one or more children and I am 34 weeks or less.
If you answered yes to the question above, then you may proceed.
Here are some attributes and statements of a good candidate for midwifery care. Some are clinical, some more about mindset and values. If you can check at least 10 of the 12, we think you may be a good fit!
- To my knowledge, I do not have diabetes.
- On the BMI calculator, my BMI is 35 or less. (35-40 BMI’s would need a case-by-case review for other risks)
- I would like to approach pregnancy and birth as a phase of normal life, not as a disease.
- I would really like to avoid unnecessary labor interventions, but will trust my midwife’s advice, if needed.
- To my knowledge, I do not have any bleeding disorders or seizure disorders.
- I do not currently smoke, drink alcohol, or take recreational drugs.
- I have confidence in my body and myself and have hopeful, optimistic views about coping with labor and birth.
- I would highly value a vaginal birth and minimal stitches afterward.
- I am psychologically stable at this time. (Some anxiety & stress in pregnancy is considered normal)
- I try to eat a diet low in sugar/processed food, high in fruits, vegetables, and proteins.
- I have not been told that my current pregnancy is high-risk.
- I do not think I need to see a doctor to feel I am safe, unless there are problems.
If you were able to check at least 10 of the 12 questions, we may be a good fit for you. We would be happy to talk to you more about using our midwife services.